Health Professions Committee Letter
The Committee Letter Application is now live!
Health Professions Advising offers an optional committee letter for LMU students and alumni who are applying to medical or dental school.
Receiving a committee letter will neither guarantee admission nor denial to medical or dental school. However, many medical and dental schools do expect students to have a committee letter written if this service is available at their undergraduate institution.
The LMU Committee Letter will reflect your:
- Academic information
- Biographical information
- Passion for medicine or dentistry
- Community service
- Other relevant experience
- Unique attributes and competencies
- Unique challenges or adversities that you have had to overcome
In addition to the committee letter you will receive feedback on your application to medical or dental school. You will also receive a mock interview by a LMU faculty which will provide you with valuable feedback.
Committee Letter Process:
The Committee Letter process is intended to provide LMU students with a thorough assessment and guidance in their application to medical and dental school. It is much more than just requesting a committee letter. You will be provided with feedback on your entire application to medical and dental school. The committee letter application is now live! Deadline for applying is April 10, 2018.
Step 1- Pre-Health Committee Letter Application
Complete a Pre-Health Committee Letter Application.
A complete Pre-Health Committee Letter Application will include your:
- Health Professions GPA Table
- Resume (see CPD's resume guide)
- Unofficial Transcripts (upload as one document). Official transcripts may be requested on an individual basis.
- Names of individuals who will write your letters of recommendation (only names).
Step 2- Letters of Recommendation
- Sign up for a free Interfolio account using this link for LMU students and alumni:
- Follow the instructions on Interfolio to have each recommender upload their letter to your account.
- Remind your letter writers to type, date, and sign the letter and put it on official letterhead.
- Minimum number of letters required is 3 and the maximum number is 6. Two letters must be from faculty who have taught you in the sciences. One non-science academic letter is recommended. Dental students should have a dentist write a letter of recommendation.
- Deadline for letters to be in Interfolio: June 1, 2018.
Step 3- Mock Interview (Interviews will take place between May and August).
You will be instructed as to how and when to schedule your Mock Interview with a HPAC Committee member (you will be provided with the faculty contact information); it is your responsibility to set-up an agreed time and date for your interview.
Interviews will be conducted either in person or via Skype, it is your preference which.
The notes from the interviewer will be sent to the Health Professions Advisor within two weeks.
Step 4- Drafting and Finalizing the Committee Letter
Once the Health Professions Advisor receives the mock interview notes, she will take up to three weeks to draft your letter. It will be finalized and submitted to AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS once the following information has been received by the Health Professions Advising office (email the info to email@example.com):
- Unofficial transcript with spring grades (if applicable)
- MCAT or DAT scores
- All letters of recommendation are in your Interfolio account
- Draft of AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS application has been reviewed and approved by the Health Professions Advising office. Send the completed yet un-submitted application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Courtney Klipp needs to be listed as the committee letter writer.
*The Committee Letter is kept on file for 5 years.
Step 5- Release of Your Common Application (Dental and Medical School application) (optional)
You have the option to release your Common Application to your Health Professions Advisor. We request that you release your information as it allows the HPA staff to maintain statistics and further improve services offered to LMU students.
April 10, 2018
Deadline for all materials to be submitted online.
- We have a very high volume of students that request committee letters each year. June and July are the busiest months. Please understand that we are unable to expedite our process. We want all of our LMU applicants to have the best possible letters, and they take time to write.
- After you submit your application to AMCAS/AACOMAS/AADSAS, it will go through the grade verification process before it is viewed by medical/dental schools. This can take up to 4-6 weeks. Your committee letter does not need to be completed when you submit your application.
- If you are retaking the MCAT, be sure to list the date that you will sit for the exam on your AMCAS application. If you fail to do this then your application will be reviewed with your old score(s). We recommend that if you are planning to retake the exam you send in your application for verification on or near your exam date. The verification process should be complete around the time your new scores are available.
For a more detailed summary of the Committee Letter and the process, please check out our Committee Letter Information packet for more information.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com or call us at 310.338.7704.