The Objectives and Outcomes of LMU Healthcare Systems Engineering Master’s Program
1) To serve the healthcare industry with innovative comprehensive education in systems-based healthcare operations management, enabling our graduates for successful professions throughout healthcare. Potential applications include: clinical and operational management within hospitals, clinics, radiology and clinical laboratories, pharmacies, emergency departments, operating rooms, healthcare enterprise IT systems; as well as industry initiatives such as lifecycle patient wellness and population health, telemedicine, health delivery systems, and medical device systems. Educational Outcome: All students will appreciate and understand these applications.
2) To integrate academic training with industry application, through effective partnerships with nationally recognized faculty from LMU, Kaiser Permanente, UCLA Health and other healthcare organizations, who deliver exciting and important curriculum, as well as student projects, internships and industry connections. Educational Outcome: All students will perform a Capstone Project with relevant and practical industrial application.
3) To equip graduates with industry-leading knowledge in health systems engineering, systems-enhanced lean management, and project management, providing management skills that enables graduates to effectively lead systems-based change initiatives within the healthcare setting. Educational Outcome: All students will perform a Capstone Project demonstrating systems engineering and project management process and skills. Two advanced Lean courses will test student’s ability to apply Lean methods.
4) To assure continued program excellence and industry relevance with nationally recognized experts serving on the HSE Board of Advisors. Educational Outcomes: all students will have an opportunity to interact with national experts in their classes, in guest lectures and seminars and in industrial visits.
5) To serve our students, graduates and the industry with opportunities to enhance ethical healthcare using resources of the renown LMU Bioethics Institute. Educational Outcomes: students will be exposed to the Bioethics Institute operations and relevance in healthcare operations via a guest lecture.