Program Costs

LMU Post-baccalaureate students do not qualify for institutional scholarships or grant funds so they pay reduced tuition fees during the academic year and a per-lab fee for science labs. The student is also responsible for additional institutional fees. In the 14 month program, a minimum of 12 units and maximum of 18 units are taken per semester and 3-8 units during each summer session. The tuition cost for 2021-2022 is approximately $35,500 - $38,400 for 37-40 units.

If admitted to the program a non-refundable $500 commitment fee will be required to hold your spot. Once a student begins fall classes, the $500 will be applied to his/her student account.

Financial Aid

Students seeking financial aid for the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical program are not considered graduate students; they are considered 5th year undergraduates taking preparatory coursework. Students in this program are not eligible for grant assistance from the university or federal programs.

In general, most Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical students are considered dependents and may receive up to $5,500 in Federal Direct Student Loans (combined subsidized and unsubsidized amounts) during the award period. If a student is determined to be independent, an additional $7,000 in Unsubsidized Federal Direct Students Loans may be available.

Unsure if you are considered an independent student or a dependent student? Find out here.

Dependent students whose parents are denied a Parent PLUS loan are eligible to borrow a total of $12,500 in Stafford Loans (up to $5,500 of which can be Subsidized) through the Federal Direct Loan Program. 

Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical students may only receive Federal Direct Loans for a two-semester period (Fall/Spring) per Federal regulations and must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units per semester). If you are beginning the program with the summer term, only private alternative loans are available for the summer.

There are several questions a student must answer to determine if they are a dependent or independent student. If you answer "no" to all questions, you MUST provide parental information on the FAFSA even if you no longer reside with your parents or they no longer provide your support. The federal government will still view you as a dependent student and parental information is required for all dependent students.

FAFSA guidelines for Postbac students

When completing the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Postbaccalaureate Pre-Medical students should provide the following answers:

  • When you begin the 2020-2021 school year, what will be your grade level? Answer: 5th year/other undergraduates
  • When you begin the 2020-2021 school year, what degree or certificate will you be working on? Answer: You will answer Certificate/Diploma (occupational/technical/education program of less than 2 years)
  • At the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program? Answer: No
  • Grade Level: Answer: 5th year, Post Baccalaureate Certification, 2nd Degree

Eligibility Criteria

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5
  • Be enrolled at least halftime (6 or more units)
  • Have remaining eligibility for loan borrowing (Not reached lifetime loan limits associated with credential program)


We realize that every student's situation is unique and you may have questions about your specific situation. For just questions relating to financial aid, contact or call 310.338.2753. General questions about the program can be directed to or call 310.338.7704.