The World-Wide Web Virtual Library: Biosciences, a massive collection of biology links maintained by Harvard University.
Flora & Fauna
- The Tree of Life, a phylogenetic database at the University of Arizona
Museums, Aquaria & Research Institutes
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography, located in La Jolla, the premier institution for oceanographic research in California
- Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- The Field Museum, located in Chicago, one of the great museums in the world.
- The California Academy of Sciences, a public institution, based in San Francisco. Has world-famous exhibits (planetarium, natural history museum, aquarium); research areas primarily concerned with flora and fauna
- San Diego Natural History Museum
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
- Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, a major center in Maryland for research on bird populations
- Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, located in San Pedro, CA
- The Monterey Bay Aquarium, based at the world-famous aquarium in Monterey, CA, this site offers web cam views of the kelp forest.
Zoos & Living Museums
- Los Angeles Zoo
- San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
- The Living Desert, an outdoor museum in Palm Desert, CA
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a wonderful museum south of Tucson, AZ that encloses a large outdoor natural area.
- The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanic Gardens, located in San Marino, CA; a unique blend of art and botanic gardens; excellent succulent collection
- Arboretum of Los Angeles, located in Arcadia, CA; supported by Los Angeles County
- The Missouri Botanical Garden, located in St. Louis, a major center for botanical research, rain forest preservation, etc.
- The Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, located in Claremont, CA; a major center for the study and cultivation of California native plants
- The New York Botanical Garden, one of the premier botanical gardens in the world.
- The Theodore Payne Foundation, a nursery in Sun Valley, CA, specializes in California native plants
Wildlife Sanctuaries & Nature Centers
- Placerita Canyon Park and Nature Center on the north side of the San Gabriel Mountains near Newhall, CA
- Chula Vista Nature Center, located on San Diego Bay