Admission Requirements for the Master's in Computer Science Degree
We are pleased you are considering LMU for your MS in Computer Science degree. Our program continues to advance in technical relevance as well as attention to student outcomes and career advancement.
Please review the following admissions information carefully:
- All applicants must possess a bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, or other closely related fields
- Undergraduate preparation for all graduate students, regardless of previous degrees, should include the following subject areas:
- Computer Programming (CMSI 185)
- Programming Lab (CMSI 186)
- Data Structures/Algorithms (CMSI 281)
- Computer Systems Organization (CMSI 284); and
- At least one of the following:
- Introduction to Microprocessors (ELEC 384)
- Operating Systems (CMSI 387)
- Programming Languages (CMSI 386)
- The preparation courses above do not have to be taken at LMU; however, courses taken at other universities must satisfy the above requirements. Applicants who do not have adequate background in computer science may be required to take additional undergraduate courses.
- Transfer Credit:
- Students may transfer six semester hours for courses completed at another accredited college or university. The credits to be transferred must be taken prior to admission, with a grade of B (3.0) or higher. Transfer credit must not have been used to satisfy degree requirements at another college or university.
To start your application process, please fill out the Graduate Admissions Application.
How to Apply
Applicants within the United States should submit:
- A completed online application and $50 Application Fee
- Official transcripts for all schools attended after high school
- Letter of intent (approximately 1.5 pages in length)
- (Optional) Two (2) letters of recommendation
- One must attest to the applicant's previous academic performance and ability to succeed in a degree program
- The other can be a professional letter of reference.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation may attest to professional performance, if the applicant graduated more than five (5) years ago
- (Optional) Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Must submit the items listed above plus the additional items required for international students by LMU Graduate Admission.
Applications are received on a rolling basis.
International students who need a visa are encouraged to apply three months in advance and no later than the following dates:
|Term||Out of the U.S.||In the U.S.|
|Spring||November 30||December 15|
|Summer 1||April 2||April 23|
|Summer 2||May 14||June 4|
|Fall||July 15||August 15|