Most Asked Seaver Graduate Admission Questions: All Programs
Please find a list of commonly asked questions to our Seaver Graduate Admission Team. For any general graduate application related questions, please visit the Graduate Admission FAQ section.
1. What are the admission requirements?
The general admission requirements for all graduate programs are:
- Complete an online graduate application
- Provide official transcripts from an accredited institution
- Two letters of recommendation, if required. Please visit your program’s website to confirm requirement and number of letters.
- Personal statement addressing your interest in pursuing our graduate program and how it fits your career goals (1-2 pages)
- GRE submission is optional
- Please visit your graduate program website and/or the Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering bulletin to read about specific admission requirements from your specific program of interest (e.g., undergraduate major and/or course requirements) and deadlines.
2. Is the GRE required?
No, the GRE is not required to apply to our graduate programs. If GRE scores are available, the applicant is welcome to include these in the application submission.
3. What are the program deadlines?
Our Seaver Graduate Program application deadlines are based on the desired entry term to which the student wishes to enroll for:
Fall Term: July 1
Spring Term: November 1
Summer I Term: March 1
Summer II Term: April 1
4. How long do applications take to be reviewed?
Once an application has all required documentation submitted, our faculty and staff can provide a decision within 1-2 weeks.
5. What type of scholarship options are available?
Seaver College offers various scholarship options to our students, including merit-based scholarships and need-based scholarships. To learn more about these and other options, please visit our Types of Available Aid page. International students are eligible for merit-based LMU grants, scholarships and graduate assistantships. International students are not eligible for need-based financial aid at LMU. Please see the Graduate Financial Aid website for more information.
6. Do you offer fully funded scholarships?
We currently do not offer fully funded scholarships nor full rides to any of our programs. To read more about the types of funding opportunities available, please visit our Types of Financial Aid page.
7. What is the most I can get for a scholarship?
Scholarship amounts depend on the scholarship type that is received.
8. What are assistantship options and how do I apply for an assistantship?
Seaver College offers various paid graduate research assistantships. Graduate assistantships allow our graduate students receive funds in exchange for the involvement supporting an office on campus or being part of research experiences. Either graduate assistantships or graduate research assistantships can be pursued while also pursuing their LMU degree. Each office or program determines the availability and eligibility for graduate assistantships and graduate research assistantships.
9. What are research opportunities on campus available to graduate students?
Research opportunities are available in our graduate programs, including graduate research assistantship options alongside faculty as well as the required capstone or thesis projects towards the end of our graduate programs. Students should expect to conduct research at least once while enrolled in any of our programs.
10. Can I have the transcript evaluation requirement waived?
International applicants who have completed their postsecondary education from an institution outside the United States (U.S.) must hold a degree from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution. Transcripts from an international institution must be translated and evaluated by a U.S. transcript evaluation service (e.g., Educational Credential Evaluators, International Education Research Foundation or World Education Services) before the application is considered for admission. For applicants to any of the LMU Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering graduate programs: a course-by-course transcript evaluation identifying your GPA must be submitted along with the application.
11. How can I receive more information or ask a question?
You are welcome to explore any of the following methods to meet our Seaver Graduate Admission team and get the support you need about your program of interest:
- E-mail us: SeaverGraduateAdmission@lmu.edu
- Visit our Seaver Graduate Programs website
- Submit your information to receive e-mail communication
- Sign up to one of our upcoming graduate information sessions to learn about our graduate programs and application process
- Sign up for one of our upcoming student appointments
We look forward to connecting with you!