All applicants need a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree or undergraduate engineering degree. This must include:
- General chemistry — 3 semester hours (1 course).
- Mathematics — Through one year of college calculus.
- Total all science — 12 semester hours or 4 courses, which can include biology, microbiology, chemistry, or physics.
Applicants with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or other undergraduate degree may be considered with the above course work completed prior to applying.
Accepted applicants with an undergraduate engineering degree from an ABET-accredited institution will be admitted to the Master's of Science in Engineering in Civil Engineering Program (Water Resources Engineering or Environmental Engineering at the applicant's option). Accepted applicants without an undergraduate engineering degree will be admitted to the Master's of Science in Environmental Science Program.
The Department may require new applicants who lack an adequate background in mathematics, chemistry, or science to take additional courses before being admitted to or continuing in the program.
Applicants will need to submit:
- A completed application form and $50 application fee
- Two (2) Official transcripts of all schools attended since high school
- A brief letter of intent (approximately 1.5 pages)
- Two letters of reference, at least one of which attests to the applicant's previous academic performance and ability to succeed in the program. The other may be a professional reference. For applicants graduating more than 5 years ago, both references may attest to the Applicant's professional performance and ability to succeed in the graduate program.
International applicants should submit the items listed above plus the additional items required by LMU Graduate Admissions.
Deadlines and Application Cycles
Students can start our program in the fall, spring or summer. Our program has a rolling admissions process, which means that applications can be submitted at anytime, and admission will be given as the applications are processed. For students with U.S. citizenship, applications must be received no later than two weeks before the semester starts. For international students, applications must be received no later than one month before the semester starts.
To start the application process, please fill out the Graduate Admissions Application.