The mechanical engineering undergraduate program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
The mechanical engineering undergraduate program has established the following program educational objectives that are consistent with the University’s mission and the department’s program outcomes. During the first 3-5 years after graduation, mechanical engineering students will:
- Demonstrate competency and leadership in professional engineering activities such as industry-based work, research and development, and experimental studies;
- Advance in their professional careers and pursue continuous learning in areas relevant to their long-term goals;
- Be contributing productively to cross-functional teams, communicating effectively, and demonstrating professional and ethical responsibility.
These program educational objectives are accomplished through the major requirements, the core curriculum, design competition experiences, internships, research opportunities, professional society involvement, and extracurricular activities.
The mechanical engineering undergraduate program has established the following student outcomes that support the program educational objectives. Attainment of these outcomes prepares graduates to enter the professional practice of engineering.
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.