At its core, mechanical engineering is the hands-on study of motion -- learning how things move. The mechanical engineering program at LMU provides students the chance to discover the areas of mechanical engineering that fascinate them most. Engineering lecture and laboratory courses are integrated throughout the curriculum and culminate in a year-long capstone design project.
Mechanical Engineering Courses
Mechanical engineering coursework is grounded in physical sciences and math, and includes an emphasis on design that is integrated throughout the four-year plan. Select individual course titles below to learn more about the topics available.
- MECH 211 Computer Aided Design
- MECH 212 Mechanics of Materials
- MECH 213 Dynamics
- MECH 214 Materials Science
- MECH 223 Thermodynamics
- MECH 260 Nanotechnology
- MECH 261 Biotechnology
- MECH 262 Information Technology
- MECH 270 Materials
- MECH 277 Systems of Energy Conversions
- MECH 298 Special Studies
- MECH 302 Thermal Science and Energy Lab
- MECH 303 Solid Mechanics and Materials Laboratory
- MECH 310 Machine Design
- MECH 312 Vibrations
- MECH 321 Energy Systems
- MECH 322 Fluid Mechanics
- MECH 323 Heat Transfer
- MECH 398 Special Studies
- MECH 399 Independent Studies
- MECH 401 Design Capstone Project I
- MECH 402 Design Capstone Project II
- MECH 410 Design and Manufacturing Laboratory
- MECH 412 Control Systems
- MECH 493 Mechanical Engineering Internship
- MECH 498 Special Studies
- MECH 499 Independent Studies
- MECH 510 Computer-Aided Manufacturing
- MECH 511 Materials Selection in Design
- MECH 514 Modern Methods in Materials Science
- MECH 515 Composites
- MECH 516 Finite Elements Methods
- MECH 517 Fracture Mechanics
- MECH 518 Design for Manufacturing
- MECH 519 Advanced Vibrations
- MECH 520 Computational Fluid Dynamics
- MECH 524 Alternative Energy Systems
- MECH 532 Robotics
- MECH 537 Rapid Prototyping
- MECH 542 Turbomachinery
- MECH 544 Propulsion
- MECH 545 Fundamentals of Biomedical Engineering
- MECH 598 Special Studies
- MECH 599 Independent Studies
- MECH 604 Engineering Mathematics
- MECH 610 Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- MECH 613 Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- MECH 620 Nanotechnology Engineering Topics
- MECH 623 Advanced Thermodynamics
- MECH 625 Advanced Heat Transfer
- MECH 631 Elasticity
- MECH 634 Fatigue
- MECH 635 Structural Dynamics
- MECH 638 Random Vibrations
- MECH 645 Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
- MECH 653 New Product Design and Development
- MECH 686 Master's Thesis
- MECH 698 Special Studies
- MECH 699 Independent Studies
An Emphasis on Design
Engineering design is a critical component of mechanical engineering, and LMU's program purposefully integrates design starting in the first year. Students will dive into a year-long practicum during their senior year that further explores engineering design, giving them the opportunity to think creatively about real-world solutions and employ design methodology. The practicum is concluded with a capstone design project during students' last semester.
Explore Senior Design Projects
Engineering design is woven into the entire B.S.E. curriculum for mechanical engineering students. It culminates in a year-long practicum experience that is capped off by a senior design project.
Explore senior design projects from recent mechanical engineering graduates.
Ready for Take-Off
Dario Gutierrez, Brian Jahn, Sarah Lanzner and Tom Powers designed an aircraft that could carry payloads, as part of the Society of Engineering's Aero Design competition.
Making Advances in Biomedicine
Spencer Chan, Harrison Roskopp and Gavin Leachman developed an automated, hands-free vein finder to help medical providers better assess the healing of patients post-surgery.
Designing a Full-Scale Rocket Engine
Christopher Ferrari, Shonnu Thaong, Brian Avchen, Matthew Soriano, John Manganiello, Spencer Hollister, CJ Fernandeez and Sabrina Colet-Ruiz continued LoyolaMARS' work to create a liquid rocket engine.
Check Out the Engineering Design Showcase for More Student Capstones and Research Projects.