Dr. Jie Xu's research interests include electromagnetics, wave propagation in complex media, antenna design, and their applications in the general area of wireless communications, remote sensing, and medicine. The goal of the research is to advance the fundamental understanding and knowledge of the various subjects on a theoretical level, so that they can be effectively put to applications.
Some recent projects include:
- Early breast cancer detection with microwave imaging
- The functional dimension of electromagnetic fields in scattering environments and the diversity benefits available from the field polarizations
- The characteristics of singular modes of antenna arrays and their application in beam-forming and object locating
- The formulation of scattering-included dyadic Green's function and its angular radiation spectrum
- The orbital angular momentum of beamed EM waves and its application in wireless spatial multiplexing
- Characteristic modes of material bodies and their application in special-purpose antenna design
J. Xu, “Object localization using machine learning”, in IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Portland, OR, July, 2023.
J. Xu, “Zernike-polynomial-based entire-domain vector basis functions for circular domains”, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 70, pp. 9557-9572, Oct. 2022.
J. Xu, "Characteristic Modes of Circular Conducting Plate with Zernike Polynomials as Entire-Domain Basis," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 2020, pp. 831-832, doi: 10.1109/IEEECONF35879.2020.9329634
J. Xu, "Generation of Laguerre-Gaussian Modes by Aperture or Array Sources," in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 415-429, Jan. 2019, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2018.2874714
J. Xu, "The angular spectrum of dyadic Green's function in 3-D scattering environments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol.66, pp. 4096-4104, Aug. 2018.
Y. Liu, M. Liu, F. Xu, J. Xu, and X. Huang, "A novel four-port high isolation MIMO antenna design for high-capacity wireless applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 60, pp.1476-1481, Jun. 2018.
J. Xu, "Full-diversity OAM multiplexing by antenna array," in IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Boston, MA, July, 2018.
J. Xu, "Degrees of freedom of OAM-based communication systems," in IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., San Diego, CA, July 2017.
J. Xu, "Generating LG modes with aperture or array," in IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig. San Diego, CA, July, 2017.
J. Xu, "Degrees of freedom of OAM-based line-of-sight radio system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 65, pp. 1996-2008, Apr. 2017